new-here-church.jpg

Welcome

We're glad you're thinking about visiting Elkdale! Whatever your age, personality, or passion, we have a place for you.

more

image

Map & Directions

We are located at 2221 Elkdale Street in Selma, Alabama right off of Highway 80.

more

#

Worship Times

Come worship with us on Sundays at 8:30 am (Traditional) or 11:00 am (Contemporary).

more

close
new here?

elkdale-history.jpg

History

menu bar

In 1950, Cottage prayer meetings were held on Thursday nights to seek God’s leadership in Selma, Alabama. They called it the Elkdale Prayer Group (named after Elkdale Park where the meetings began). They met in the home of Mrs. J. C. Elder at 610 6th Avenue and quickly realized the need for a church in North Selma. This need took root in the heart and mind of Miss Lillie Falkenberry (City Missionary for First Baptist Church). Along with some of her friends and co-workers from First Baptist Church and the help of Dr. John Davidson (Pastor of First Baptist Church), Elkdale Baptist Church became a reality. Dr. Fred Pearson helped make the vision come true through hard work and dedication.

On November 17, 1950 a Sunday school class began to meet in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur M. Osborn on 608 7th Avenue. This Sunday school enrollment continued to increase until it became necessary to rent a vacant house next door to provide meeting space.

On November 30, 1952, the Elkdale Baptist Church was constituted in the First Baptist Church with 63 charter members, and a budget of $7,350.00. An interim pastor, Reverend Parks Redwine, was called and served until August 1, 1953, when the Reverend Harry E. Kirkley was called as pastor. The Sunday school enrollment numbered 200, a Training Union and Woman’s Missionary Union had been added, and a Vacation Bible School had been held. A larger building became necessary, so plans were made to look for a site to build Elkdale Baptist Church.

In 1953, ten lots located on Elkdale Street, were purchased for $11,000.00. The groundbreaking ceremony took place on September 6, 1953, and the congregation moved in on November 29, 1953. The finished building was dedicated on May 2, 1954. A dedicated and energetic congregation continued to grow and build until the church had a membership of over 1,000 by April, 1982.  Meanwhile, the church continued adding to the original building.

Under the leadership of Reverend Larry Bray, the church launched $160,000.00 bond issue to construct the present sanctuary, which was dedicated in 1958. During Reverend Bob Posey’s pastorate, (1962-1964) Elkdale’s zeal for missions was established in the planting of Westwood Mission on Highway 80 West. That mission is now Westwood Baptist Church.

During the ten year tenure of Reverend Bob Atkins, the church continued to grow. More education space was constructed and the debt of the church was eliminated. Dr. Mel Deason encouraged the church to continue to purchase adjacent property as it became available. Also during his tenure, Sunday school was held in many houses near the church.

During the pastorate of Dr. Gary Fagan, church consultants evaluated Elkdale Baptist Church and made many recommendations. A task force was formed and a master plan was created to proceed with new development and growth of Elkdale. Phase I was completed in 1986 at a cost of $500,000.00. The construction consisted of a youth building, educational and office space, and colonnades to beautify and bring the campus together.

Under the leadership of Dr. Jerry H. Henry, Phase II was implemented and completed in 1993 at a cost of $500,000.00. This new construction consisted of a children’s building next to the youth building. Phase III started at the cost of $700,000.00 to add a new senior adult education building and a colonnade across the entire north side of the church. Over the period of all three phases the church has purchased more property, totaling ten adjoining lots to the ten original lots purchased in 1953.

November 3, 2002 was the 50th anniversary of Elkdale Baptist Church. Elkdale Baptist Church started a preschool under Interim pastor Rev. Al Finch called Elkdale Baptist Church Weekday Preschool on September 2003, with first class graduating on May, 2004.

Late 2005 marked the beginning of Reverend Micah Gandy's pastorate. Under his leadership, Elkdale began a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings. This era was marked by Gandy's passion for expositional preaching.

In 2010 Pastor Cory Horton was called to Elkdale. Brother Cory helped sharpen Elkdale's mission plan by developing the Acts 1:8 strategy. Great strives were also made in the remodeling of Elkdale facilities, including a state of the art nursery, music suite, and office space.

Elkdale Baptist Church has a 60 year history of ministers, missionaries, musicians, and hundreds of lay Christians having gone out to continue spreading the vision nurtured at Elkdale. Elkdale has been in a perpetual expansion program since its conception, due to the aspirations and vitality of its members combined with a commitment to grow to be a place where God and His abounding mercy and grace are found and to allow all to seek and find His Kingdom through Jesus Christ.

login